The Knockout

Image: Black satin funeral beads tied in a bow.


1.30am Saturday, Canberra Australia.

I read The Knockout again last night, first time in many years. 
Many of the participants have passed on; young and old they slipped into the life expectancy gap.


...


THE KNOCKOUT a tweetyarn from a long time ago

 

For a time, I worked in a remote community. My job was teaching homeless kids how to make films.

Number 1 job criteria: community engagement.

*

The project target group was 14-17yo kids.

I had 12-20yo’s & younger who wanted to join in with their family members.

I had to manage that.

*

I was new to town & they didn’t know me. They told me pretty much everyday for the 1st year.

Who are you? Why are you here?

I liked my job.

*

We ran our youth projects on limited funds. Nowhere near as much funding as the local health service, juvenile justice, or family services.

*

I’d been a bureaucrat for X years so I know how to fill a form in.

So I volunteered to help others to write submissions for youth projects.

*

It was a small, remote community described as ‘troubled’ with more agencies that I’d ever seen on the ground.

I formed an interagency committee.

*

I had gone around to all the agencies to introduce myself and ask what they did.

They struggled to engage.

I said, I have more than I need.

*

Town folk continued to ask me, who are you and why are you here?

No really. WHY and YOU…HERE.

- I like my job.

They kept watching me.

*

Make no mistake…if you are working with peoples’ kids…in their community…they want to know exactly what you are doing.

Then I get a visit from a group of men … coach, manager and the captain of the local team. All related to the youth group.

They had a request.

*

The team reps said they wanted to go to the Knockout. The drought had dried up all their work.

They’d heard I was good at getting money..?

*

[The Qld & NSW Aboriginal Rugby League Knockout Carnivals are the major if not the biggest sports/cultural events on the annual calendar.]

*

I responded, in case they hadn’t heard who I was and what I was doing ‘here’.

I ran youth film projects.

They were an adult rugby team.

*

My strategy:

I said, okay let me think about this. I can’t give you an answer now. Give me a week. I make no promises.

They left happy.

*

The rugby team was in training. I drove past & noted 3 nights/week they trained while a big group of kids hung on the fence and watched.

*

Boss asked, how’s it going?

I said, I need to find money for a mens’ rugby team.

He said, that’s not us.

I said, but we engage communities, right?

*

Boss said, umm.

I said, yeah I get it, I’m on my own.

Team members would drive past waving. People stopped asking Qs. Now they just stared.

*

I was living remote so net access was problematic.

I hotfooted it around all the agencies to get some ideas.

No one would fund a Knockout.

*

I was worried, I can’t lie.

The rest of the world may not know it, but a Knockout is a very important cultural event for families and communities.

*

I spent hours at night reading grant criteria, and days talking to agencies. Then the week was up.

The team parked 3 deep outside my house.

*

I knew some of them from the local Domestic Violence Men’s Group.

It was well known that 2 had been perpetrators and had worked to set it up.

*
DV spiked around significant events.

Some women had been known to check into the women’s shelter BEFORE the men came home from a Knockout.

*

I said:

I can get you funding for two chartered buses, three nights hotel accommodation with breakfast, team guernseys & registration.

But there’s two conditions.

*

First condition: when you are training for 2hrs x 3 nights/week you need to include all the boys who turn up. Run them hard so they go home and sleep.

*

I explained, you’re all related. Between you and the Police ACLO who’s agreed to run some home in his bus. The boys need to be off the streets.

*

I explained the second condition…they agreed.

We negotiated how we were going to get funding for an unincorporated organization. Tricky.

*

The next day I’m walking down the main street of that small town. A group of local ladies spied me and called out. First time they knew my name.

*

‘Hey Siv! Are you getting money for the men to go away for the Knockout? They’re all married here but they’re single when they go away.’

*

‘Yes, I gave them an idea with two conditions and they agreed to both.

The first is that they tire the boys out and get them home 3 nights/week.

*

And the second condition…for two buses, three nights in a hotel with breakfast; and entry tickets…and they all agreed…is they take their wives.

 *

FOOTNOTE

It cost $7000. That funded a trip away for 34 men, 16 women, 72 kids and the team came 4th.

The End.


...

LINK




Siv Parker

House of Abundant Peace

2026

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Smooth

Edit #27

Wishlists

Feminartsy Writing Residency 2017

Nightwalkers 2013

Review: Umbre (Shadows)

Review #FirstContactSBS

The Pennants

#MWF14 Blog to book Update 4